Check out this excerpt from Health Fitness Revolution! It outlines 10 benefits ice skating has to offer. Ice-Plex offers year-round public sessions, 7 days a week. Come give it a try!
- Better balance: Ice skating helps improve your balance through fun and positive exercise.
- Improves joint flexibility: If your leg joints creak every time you rise from your bed in the morning, ice skating could offer a real solution. With its emphasis on quick foot movements and strong knees, your leg joints will receive a great workout and hopefully feel more flexible in no time.
- Builds leg muscles: Focusing on lower-body movement, ice skating offers great exercise for the leg muscles, building and toning them up over time.
- Cardio: Aerobic exercise is an important aspect of cardiovascular health, and ice skating provides a great aerobic workout. The best part about skating is you get a great cardio workout without even knowing it.
- Endurance: Ice skating requires energy over an extended period of time, making it a great way to build your endurance. The longer you skate, the more you’ll improve your endurance, not just for ice skating but for other sports and activities as well.
- Weight management: If you are trying to lose or maintain your weight, ice skating is a good way to burn calories while having fun! Ice skating burns from 300-650 calories per hour, depending on how hard you skate.
- Stress relief: Regular physical activity like ice skating can help combat the effects of stress.
- Improves joints: Through gliding and synchronized movement of the legs, the joints and muscles will get a great workout... Skating is said to be more beneficial than cycling and running. Ice skating works almost every major muscle group in the body, including joints.
- Mental fitness: The company of family and friends greatly help in unwinding from a long week of work and stress. Self confidence is definitely improved as well.